PASSENGERS WITH MOBILITY ISSUES (WHEELCHAIR)
Edelweiss provides complimentary wheelchair service and transport vehicles with escorts to passengers with mobility issues. On-board, all of our aircraft are equipped with removable aisle armrests to assist passenger with mobility issues during the boarding and deplaning process.
Passengers with a walking disability (wheelchair)
We provide complimentary wheelchair service and transport vehicles with escorts to passengers with mobility issues. On-board, all of our aircraft are equipped with removable aisle armrests to assist passenger with mobility issues during the boarding and deplaning process.
The following options are possible depending on needs:
- Passenger can board and leave the aircraft unassisted. A wheelchair is only needed for the airport area (departure and destination airport). (Information for travel agent: WCHR)
- Passenger can move around in the cabin unassisted, but requires help ascending/descending stairs and in the airport area. (Information for travel agent: WCHS)
- Passenger depends on a wheelchair and is not self-sufficient. Passengers can only be booked with an accompanying person. Exemptions are to be obtained from and granted by the Medical Service.
Wheelchair reservations and information
Discuss your planned trip with your doctor and ask for details of the necessary preparations. Then book your flight in plenty of time (at least two days before departure) and notify our Service Center of your requirements. Edelweiss Services: firstname.lastname@example.org or call +41 (0)848 333 593
Travelling with your own wheelchair
If you are travelling with your own wheelchair, please inform us about the type of battery, the weight, and the size of the wheelchair when making your registration so that we can accommodate your needs. Please proceed to the gate with your personal wheelchair and our staff will assist you in the boarding process and store your wheelchair for the flight.
Your wheelchair will be transported in the cargo hold free of charge and will be returned to you when you reach your destination If the aircraft contains a closet or storage area big enough to accommodate a passengers wheelchair, we will designate that area as a priority stowage space for the wheelchair.
Please note, however, that special procedures exist for battery powered wheelchairs. We request that passengers with battery powered wheelchairs check in one hour in advance. Before check-in batteries must be securely attached to the wheelchair and all battery terminals must be insulated to prevent accidental short circuits. If your wheelchair is equipped with a spillable battery and cannot be stored in an upright and secured position, the battery must be removed from the wheelchair before your departure. Our loading staff will put it into a special carrier box provided to you at no expense.
Depending on the degree of impairment a SAF/MEDIF Form must be filled out prior to departure.
To ensure a smooth check-in and boarding process, we recommend that passengers with wheelchairs present themselves at the check-in desk at least one hour prior to their departure.
Passengers with impaired hearing or vision
Upon request, we will provide an escort service at the airport. Carriage in the cabin of service animals (dogs) is permitted and free of charge. To help us meet your needs we encourage you to advise us that you will be travelling with a service animal (dog) at the time of making your booking.
Important information: Many countries have strict vaccination regulations. Missing papers or supporting proof can lead to a refusal of entry of, e.g., the dog in the country of destination. Please contact our reservations department to learn more about the specific entry requirements of your destination.
Passengers who require supplementary oxygen on board
If you need oxygen during the flight and you wish to bring your own device (portable oxygen concentrator = POC), please take note of the following points:
1. We recommend that you inform your booking agent that you require oxygen on board and that you wish to bring your own oxygen device (the booking agent will inform the airline)
2. Please complete the medical details (SAF/MEDIF form) with your treating doctor
3. Read and complete the POC form
4. Have your doctor complete the questions concerning oxygen
5. Submit all forms at least 48 hours before departure to our partner, the medical services of Swiss International Air Lines: E-Mail email@example.com or fax: +41 58 584 68 45
CPAP machine (continuous positive airway pressure), respirator in the case of sleep apnea syndrome:
Carriage of a CPAP as hand luggage is in principle permitted. If you do not use the machine during the flight, no further clarifications are needed. However, it is of advantage to notify Edelweiss via your booking agent about the carriage of the machine. A medical certificate from your doctor is not required. However, if you intend to use your machine on board there are various points that need to be clarified.
Please find out about Edelweiss's terms and conditions via your booking agent.
Should you have any questions, please contact our Service Center team: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or tel. +41 (0)848 333 593.
SAF/MEDIF FORM (Special Assistance Form)
Medical Certificates and the SAF/MEDIF FORM (Special Assistance Form)
In the following cases, Edelweiss may require a medical certificate before a passenger is permitted to travel:
- If the passenger is travelling on a stretcher or in an incubator.
- If the passenger needs medical oxygen during the flight (Portable Oxygen Concentrators POCs).
- If the passenger has a medical condition that creates reasonable doubt that she/he can complete the flight safely without requiring extraordinary medical assistance during the flight.
- If the passenger has a communicable disease or infection that poses a direct threat to the health and safety of other passengers.
While it is not required by U.S. law, having a valid medical certificate or equivalent documentation can be helpful in other circumstances to assist passengers through security checkpoints and also for their own safety. We therefore recommend that travelers take along a medical certificate or equivalent documentation in the following cases:
- If the passenger is traveling with a cardiac pacemaker or implanted metal parts (artificial joints, metal fixtures for fractures).
- If the passenger has a chronic disease such as diabetes that requires frequent medication (i.e. a certificate stating the diagnosis and required medication).
- If the passenger is traveling to a country that requires certain vaccinations (i.e. inoculation and vaccination records).
- If the passenger is traveling with a syringe used for medical purposes.
While it is not required by U.S. law, we also encourage passengers with disabilities to complete a SAF/MEDIF form prior to their flight. The purpose of this form issued by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) is to enable Medical Service to determine that no medical concerns exist regarding fitness for air carriage and that all entities involved in travel can make the necessary arrangements. The form should be completed by the passenger concerned as well as their attending physician, and should be sent to the SWISS Medical Service.
A SAF/MEDIF form is recommended in the following cases:
- In the case of an acute illness or an accident.
- Passengers who need to be transported on a stretcher.
- Passengers who require supplementary oxygen on board.
- Passengers who need the assistance of an accompanying person due to a mental or physical health condition.
- Passengers who recently underwent surgery.
- Passenger who for medical reasons require an additional seat.
- Passengers suffering from an illness which is suspected to be contagious (e.g. H1N1 virus).
- Passengers who are deaf-blind.
- Babies under 7 days of age.
- Persons with an arm or leg plaster cast which was fitted within 5 days (for long-haul flights) or 48 hours (for short-haul flights) before departure.
Edelweiss web check-in - simple, fast and convenient.
Our web check-in enables you to already check in, choose your seat and subsequently print out your boarding card from the comfort of your home 23 hours before the flight.
Web Check-In Support: 0848 555 100
Text message (SMS) notification
Up-to-date information via SMS in the event of delayed flights.
Register here and we will inform you in the event of delays of your Edelweiss flight.
Edelweiss and Hertz.
Profit now from most attractive benefits for Edelweiss customers. Book your car here - to any of our destinations.
Choose from over 160000 hotels around the world!
Are you looking for a hotel in Mallorca, Vancover or Colombo? Booking.com has the perfect offer for you.